You can choose among different tours in Catalonia. Here we suggest our most successfull trip in Catalonia. Putting together Barcelona, the great mediterranean metropolis, and Girona, the most famous cycling destination in Spain. Will you join us?
Barcelona-Girona, cycling trip in 6 stages
Recommended all year long. Guided or Selfguided.
This trip can be tailor made throughout the year to suit your requirements
1) Barcelona-Calella 83 km It is a stage to get closer the Costa Brava. Flat road beside the sea to get out of the city and then, instead of leading straight to Calella, get a small nice hilly road in Mataró towards Arenys de Munt and Sant Pol de Mar. After that, back to the main road NII leading to Calella.
2) Calella-Caldes de Malavella 80 km
One of the nicest roads you can cycle in whole Catalonia is the one from Tossa de Mar to Sant Feliu de Guixols. It is time to enjoy landscape, views, weather… cycling. Once in Sant Feliu de Guixols then direction Santa Cristina d’Aro and afterwards to Romanyà. Finally, a crossroad leading to Llagostera will put you in the right direction to Caldes de Malavella.
3) Caldes de Malavella-L’Escala 77 km. Few miles after the start begins the climb of the day, a beautiful, solitaire and not very steep climb named Santa Pellaia. After the descent towards La Bisbal we will cycle through not very crowded roads, and then a stop in Peretallada is worth. Old and touristic town, cars are not allowed and lots of restaurants and shops welcome the tourists. After Peretallada we will continue through Torroella de Montgrí till L’Escala.
4) L’Escala-Figueres 53 km A shorter stage for those who are not that strong, but this stage can be much longer and tougher if needed. A possibility would be going from Roses to Alt de Perafita and stop in Cadaqués, where genious Salvador Dalí lived. Steep climb to the Monestry of San Pere de Rodes is also possible. Nice aerial views from there to Port de la Seva and Costa Brava. This area maybe windy, with the so named, tramuntana wind, very strong if it blows. Figueres is a must, with the Museum dedicated to Salvador Dalí.
5) Figueres-Olot 64 km Going out from Figueres through N260 is a quick way out. Wide road leading Besalú that you will leave direction Esponellà and Banyoles. It is worth, the visit of Banyoles, the village beside the famous lake, where a lot of triathlon competitions take place. A good place to stop and enjoy the place. Afterwards there are severals climbs, not very steep, to get some height reaching finally Olot at 440 meters height.
6) Olot-Girona 55 km. This is also a quite short stage, mostly in descent. It is a quite wide road C-63 till getting the crossroad in Sant Feliu de Pallerols to a more narrow road leading to Girona. If you like steep climbs, there is a very good option from Olot and Sant Esteve de’n Bas, this is the climb to Coll de Bracons, challenging climb with nice overviews of the valley at the top. It is really worth.
These are the comments of our tours from some of our customers:
"We contacted Claudio at Montefusco Cycling for a 6 day guided tour out of Barcelona. He exceeded our expectations in every way and left each of us regarding this vacation as one of our best. There were 7 of us and he provided himself and another guide along with a driver/photographer. After trading emails and a few phone conversations, he understood that we were looking for a very special cycling experience that needed to accommodate 2 different groups. One group was all about a challenging and memorable biking experience, while the other was more about touring, sight-seeing and cafes (although he would find out that the first group also enjoyed a hot cortado). He worked with us to customize daily rides for each group that also allowed the two groups to meet for lunch or a break along the way. He guided us from town to town including mountain top climbs with fantastic vistas and wonderful passages along the Mediterranean Coast. We ended each day at a top notch hotel with a planned dinner, followed by a nice breakfast the next morning. This approach worked out very well since we were able to experience a new location each day without the hassle of trying to find restaurants to accommodate us after a full day of riding. Always keeping our requests at the top of his mind. His knowledge of the area and understanding of our needs allowed him to adapt each day’s ride to the current conditions of both the weather and the riders. We all agreed that we would definitely use Montefusco Cycling again and depending on his flexibility see if he will travel to our next bike trip. Thanks Claudio!"
"I was tasked with organising a few days cycling in Spain near Barcelona. I haven't the time or inclination to research such a trip so was delighted to find MonteFusco cycling. Claudio responded rapidly to my initial query and, to my amazement, within hours had researched and recommended a full schedule including cycle hire, hotels, transport of baggage between hotels, evening meals and route.
We returned today from a brilliant trip. I am a novice cyclist and will be returning soon and feel very grateful to have seen amazing coasts and mountains. As for the hotels, I expected fairly basic facilities but they were top-class and stylish and it was great to jump into the sea or a pool after a long day's cycling.
Claudio is an absolute gentleman." See review here